The word “antioxidant” seems to pop up a lot in skin care products. Why do you actually need it?
Before going on to discuss antioxidants, we need to first understand what exactly are free radicals. They are the reason why we need antioxidants in the first place.
What are free radicals?
Free radicals are the results of the oxidation process that occurs in the body. This oxidation process can be caused by UV rays, pollution, alcohol, smoking and even stress. While oxidation is a normal process and the body can normally handle free radicals well, if free-radical production becomes excessive, damage can occur. In the long run, the accumulation of free radicals in the body can cause premature skin aging, diabetes and even cancer.
So how can antioxidants break this vicious cycle?
When it comes to fighting free radicals, our bodies naturally produce antioxidants. The role of antioxidants is to effectively neutralize free radicals, keeping them from being harmful or damaging. But of course, like everything else, as we age, our natural antioxidant defense system becomes less effective. And this is a huge problem because scientists have discovered that while sunscreens are proclaimed as the essential first line of defense, they can only protect the skin from up to 55% of UV-induced free radicals.
So, what do we do? For our skin, free radical damage can be controlled and prevented by applying skin care products with antioxidants. Here are some of our favorites:
– An water-soluble antioxidant that helps combat free radicals triggered by both body and environment. Vitamin C is also essential for tissue growth and repair, reducing pigmentation, as well as collagen synthesis.
– One of the most potent and fat-soluble antioxidants, Vitamin E is known for defending against and disabling free radicals made by the body. One example of an ingredient rich in Vitamin E is Huxley’s star ingredient, the Sahara Cactus Seed.
Green tree extract
– A popular skin care ingredient in many Korean beauty products, green tea is a powerful antioxidant that can reduce the formation of free radicals.
– This antioxidant-rich plant assists in increasing the body’s resistance to oxidative stress. Ginseng is also present in the Kicho Camellia Sleeping Pack, protecting your skin even while you snooze!
– The antioxidant resveratrol is commonly found in grapes, peanuts, and wine (hello Neogen Bio-Peel Gauze Peeling Wine!), among others. Resveratrol protects the skin against UVB damage, and inhibits UVB-mediated oxidative stress.
– Yeast extract is an effective antioxidant that also helps support the immune system and stimulate wound healing. Fermented yeast extract are the star ingredients in Missha’s Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence and Time Revolution Night Repair Borabit Ampoule.
We stock over 200+ products, all shipped directly from Melbourne, Australia. Free shipping over $65.
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Nudie Blog, & join our Facebook Group: Korean Beauty & Skincare Loving Babes for all the updates, news and tips about Korean Beauty!